Age is only a number, especially when it comes to getting the smile you have always wanted! Adult patients are now prioritizing their smiles. Being able to greet the world with a smile they are proud of is what they want and deserve!
While we usually think of braces as a rite of passage for preteens and teenagers, at Moravec Orthodontics we have treated a multitude of patients in their sixties, seventies, and even eighties. When you walk into our practice, you will be in the company of other adults—and they aren’t just parents, but patients themselves! According to the American Association of Orthodontics (AAO), at least 27 percent of orthodontic patients in the US and Canada are adults. With the increasing popularity of adult orthodontic treatment, it is no longer unusual to see your father, colleague, or aunt in braces!
The most common reasons for adults to seek orthodontic treatment include:
- Simply wanting to a more aesthetic smile — People are working and living longer, so individuals will see a greater return on their orthodontic investment.
- New treatment options — With clear aligner options such as Invisalign and SureSmile aligners, an orthodontist can straighten your teeth without metal in your mouth.
- Need a tune-up — Some adults had braces in their youth, but their teeth have shifted in the following years.
- Affordability — For some adults their families could afford orthodontics when they were children. Now, as adults, they can especially since most orthodontic offices now offer financing plans.
- Dental repairs — If you need dental implants, crowns, or bridges in the future, orthodontic treatment will need to be performed beforehand. These repairs cannot be moved with braces.
If you are constantly displeased with your smile and want to transform it into something you show off daily with confidence, make seeking orthodontic treatment a priority. Getting braces as an adult is different than as a child because you get to control exactly how much work you want done and when the treatment will start. Additionally, with a straight, healthy smile, dental hygiene is much easier and will decrease the risk of periodontal disease, or gum disease. Straight teeth allow for proper flossing and won’t rub against misaligned teeth causing potential loss of tooth enamel.
Orthodontic treatment is a lifetime investment. I have firsthand experience in seeing the transformation a straight smile can have in my patients. When they walk through the door for their first appointment, they are often quiet, shy, and rarely seen smiling. As the treatment progresses and the teeth begin to align, more of their personality comes to life. Remarkably, when the braces are removed, patients can hardly contain their excitement and smile. This is why being an orthodontist is so rewarding to me.
Your smile is one of the first things a new person notices about you. If you lack confidence due to crooked teeth or a misaligned bite, prioritize your smile. Age in and of itself is no barrier for orthodontic treatment. For more information on adult braces or other treatments, check out drstevemoravec.com.